Friday, October 12, 2007

K is for...

Kompleted! :)




Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but I finished the yarn pirate socks! I've loved the yarn, loved it so much I cast on the day it arrived from my SP10, Chelle. It made an early appearance when the Yarn Harlot was in Northampton. It then got set aside through the summer - I wasn't knitting much, and when I was, it wasn't on these! I finished them Wednesday night and look forward to wearing them! ...plus, I believe I am winning the second part of the contest with my husband.


Of course, to win the contest I also had to plan our quilt. (the contest was clarified in the comments to the above entry).



There's the sketch of the quilt - and I measured our old one. It was 105 by 92.5 inches (the back of it is a king size flat sheet). Since we purchased 7 different materials (one middle square, three lights, three darks). The finished width for the strips should be just under 1.5" - so now we just need to figure out seam allowance and wash the fabrics before we can cut and start to sew.


K is also for Keen. As in, I'm keen to find out what I win. (when we were discussing what the winner would get, I said if I win I'd get some great yarn and fiber, he said I'd get those either way - I suggested socks, but he said I also get that either way...) So, what happens? I win the contest and start a pair of socks for him.




This is yarn that I finished back in June. I originally purchased the fiber from Leah at Yarn or a Tale. I did a pretty standard toe, but for the rest of the sock I am looking through Cat Bordhi's new book (New Pathways for Sock Knitters), which my husband finally let me touch last night.

...and finally, K is for Kids:



A couple weeks ago, my daughter Lily made a knotted necklace as part of her homeschool enrichment group. They were taught (by me) some simple knots and then they each made their own unique necklaces. She finished it very quickly and was quite impressed with herself. She told me I could put the picture on my blog, or on Ravelry (sheesh, she refered it by name, talk about crafts much?). She also wants to make more soon.


On another note, I am still looking for one specific spinning tool. It's a card that has different thicknesses of black lines, each of them labeled with the correct wpi number, so you could hold up a strand of yarn and get an idea by comparing the yarn with the lines... I know that probably doesn't make much sense, but I think it'd be useful and I have seen them, somewhere. Anyone know where (online) I can get one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA. Yes, I suspect that when even your children can reference Ravelry by name, there's quite a bit of craft discussion LOL The socks look great! You're speeding right along in the contest.. hubby needs to step it up a notch!

aksunflour said...

K- kompleted isn't that much of a stretch. You should see what I am working on for g.

That quilt looks like an enormous undertaking. GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

i like the socks! your husband doesn't stand a chance. wonder what your prize will be...me and chuck have had a couple bets/contests and it's hard to figure out something special for the prize that we wouldn't get or do normally.
the quilt design looks cool. what colors are you planning on?