Ten ways to save at the grocery store:
1. Keep staples on hand (you can buy them when they are on sale and you won't need to buy them every time)
2. Look at your freezer, fridge, pantry, and then the sales, then plan your menu based on those.
3. Make a menu and a shopping list
4. Stick to the shopping list (I usually allow myself one treat/non-list item each time)
5. Specialize to each store if you can spare the time (produce is cheaper at a produce store, meat is cheaper at a butcher, paper goods and cleaning supplies might be cheaper elsewhere)
6. Buy in bulk - when it makes sense.
7. Sometimes it makes sense to buy in bulk, if you can split it with someone else right away.
8. Go shopping when you aren't hungry or tired. If you can go without grabby kids that's even better.
9. I've never had great success with couponing... but if it's something you are planning to buy anyway, cutting the price is a nice thing.
10. Check out subscription services - right now we're getting some household items from amazon - if you subscribe you can save more and they'll ship you more on a schedule - which you can edit and adjust.