I figured I should get these answered and posted at some point sooner rather than later to make sure I don't forget. These are the questions for the secret pal 10 swap... This is only the second swap I'm being a part of, but the first one has been fun.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like most yarns - I've done lace weight, I've done super bulky - it really depends on what I am using it for... I'm not really into *art* yarns that have things spun into them, but I've worked with a lot of different fibers and haven't disliked any of them!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Plastic zip-locks in a drawer and the ones I'm using are in my wicker basket. It works for me right now because I've labeled all the bags with both US and metric measurements
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I'd consider myself advanced, I've done almost every technique I've heard of, and there are a couple left I'm about to try :) and I feel pretty free making my own patterns (although not my own lace patterns yet) I've been knitting since I was umm.. early teenager. My mom taught me to knit (along with many other skills) I made a sweater and an afghan and then put it on hold for a while, coming back to it as my then boyfriend (future husband) thought it might be fun to learn.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I have an amazon wish list, I'll have to check on that and make sure it's current...
5. What's your favorite scent?
Umm... clean light scents? I like fruit/flowers, but nothing too heavy.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love chocolate! most any kinds of it in almost any candy... Nothing coffee or liquor flavored, and no teas.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin, knit, crochet, net, dye (with food dyes), sew somewhat, and a tiny bit of scrapbook and stamping.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I am very technology-friendly. Music... umm... pop/rock... some instrumental/inspirational
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like natural colors.. a lot of my clothes and such are blues and greens. I don't have any problem with any colors, depends on the blend of colors involved.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a husband and two girls who aren't in school yet. We have fish as I am allergic to dogs and cats. My girls love to help out whenever I let them with my crafty hobbies.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats... well, it has to be cold enough for me to deal with my hair and a hat, but I do wear them - ponchos... I have made them for my girls, but never for myself, I do have a couple of shawls that I wear, haven't thought about a poncho for me.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I knit a lot of baby stuff, as I know a lot of people who have growing families. So I like to try out new patterns and styles on different baby blankets (and little bear sweaters that go on my debbie bliss bear). My favorite things to knit are just anything new...
13. What are you knitting right now?
Another baby blanket (just finished the matching bear), and a lace scarf, and I'm about to start a (felted?) bag - of my own pattern - so it isn't started yet... and a couple of fun fur hats for boston. I also just got a new spindle - lace weight, so I'm enjoying playing with that whenever I can.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular or double pointed - I try to give away any straights I find in my drawer, don't really care what they are made of as long as they are sharp and the circulars are flexible.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I do own a table top swift that I love, and a ball winder that my girls insist they get to use every time it's out.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Umm, my oldest UFO is a quilt top from high school - I think I even know where it is... My oldest knitting UFO is the lace scarf from umm, about a year and a half ago? I am in the process of resurrecting it in between projects and trying to finish it.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
something that isn't craft related? not really... I read and work with my girls and cook and craft and clean. I'm home during the day with them. Don't really collect things though.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have an interweave knits subscription and I also pick up spin off when I see it. I just got back into spinning recently, and I'm loving trying out new spindles and new fibers, I have tiny amounts of angora and alpaca and camel and such... I've worked with bamboo in the past and different kinds of wool. Nothing I'm really dying to get, although I would love to try to spin some silk or something else I haven't tried...
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I want to do a little brioche, there's a neat sock pattern in the newest interweave knits that has a brioche ribbing - will probably be my next sock project. shrug.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter, but not much of one as I don't know my foot measurements right off.. 8 1/4 around and about 9 inches long - I love to do either a figure-8 or short row toe and then short row (auto) heel.
23. When is your birthday?
April 8, I'll be turning 26