Secret Pal 11 Answers
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like to knit with soft yarn - usually wool, but I also like bamboo and silk and others. I'm not usually a big fan of novelty or art yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Ziploc bags in a drawer - I probably should find a better option, but it works for me...
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I'd consider myself an advanced knitter. I've been knitting for 10-15 years. I learned as a child, and then really picked it back up when my boyfriend (now husband) had me teach him.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
yes I do have a list on amazon, I'll need to check it to make sure it's current.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I like light fruit and flower scents - I do light candles, but I have a ton right now - same with lotions.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes. Chocolate! I don't mind things in the chocolate - but no coffee, tea, or liquor.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I do spin, I've played around with wilton and citric acid dyeing. I also crochet, and cross stitch, but prefer knitting.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a variety of music - I can play mp3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like earth tones and jewel tones. I also like natural colors. I don't really like neons or pastels. I like most colors, although some combinations scare me ;)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my husband (who is also crafty), and two daughters ('Lily' is 5 and is starting to collect a stash and learning to knit, and 'Curly' is 3 and loves to help with anything fibery) I'm allergic to cats and dogs, so right now we have a fish.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I do wear them, I also like to make them.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I do like socks, and lace. I make a lot of baby blankets (with a little knit bear as a shower gift). I end up making a lot of things for family members.
13. What are you knitting right now?
lace scarf, simple socks out of yarn pirate yarn (which I love), another bear, melon shawl for curly, Mystery Shawl 3, and a pair of socks out of handspun for my husband that I haven't actually started yet.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
yes, as long as some thought went into it to make it right for me :)
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I use dpn and circular. I like different types, my husband loves bamboo so i usually end up with something else.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a winder and a table swift and a meter - and various other things to make spinning and knitting and dyeing easier.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
for yarn - the lace scarf - someday I will finish it. for other things... there's pieces of a quilt... we won't get into that.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Whatever one is coming up next... although I don't really get into Halloween so much - so thanksgiving and christmas. :)
19. Is there anything that you collect?
other than fiber, yarn and chocolate? naw, not really... I read a lot, so I have a ton of books, and I've been gardening a lot this season.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I do have a subscription to Interweave knits - someday I'll get the spinning one. Nothing I'm really dying to try... I've never used STR, and I just got yarn pirate during sp10... Hmmm... I've done wing of the moth, and I plan to do her bee shawl sometime, but have decided whether to do the triangle or the rectangle. I joined the lacey shawl yahoo group, but haven't bought that pattern yet. I'd love to try some different fibers, but that only works if there's enough for a project to knit afterwards. (there, that also gives me husband some ideas for the future)
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I recently tried wire knitting - I want to play around some more with that. I'm usually up for something new... Just have to find new things ;)
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter. My husband knits socks for me, so I asked him for my measurements. They are about 8" around and about 9 1/2" from tip of toe to heel.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
workbasket (but remember not to list me as a friend if you're on there until the end, cuz then I'll know who you are!)